Iran deputy FM condemns violence in Venezuela
Press TV -(Sat Mar 1, 2014) An Iranian deputy foreign minister has condemned violence in Venezuela which has left 17 people dead in the Latin American country.
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for European and American Affairs Majid Takht-e-Ravanchi condemned violent measures, the killing of defenseless people, vandalizing public property and destabilizing moves in Venezuela.
The Iranian diplomat made the remarks in a meeting with Venezuelan Deputy Foreign Minister for Asia, the Middle East and Oceania Xoan Pablo Noya in Tehran on Saturday.
Takht-e-Ravanchi also called for the restoration of peace and security to the oil-rich country.
He said Iran pursues a non-interference policy and voiced support for the legitimate and legal government of Venezuela.
Venezuela has witnessed violent pro- and anti-government protests since February 12, which according to authorities have left 17 dead and 150 others injured.
The opposition has criticized the administration of President Nicolas Maduro for the country’s high crime rate and economic hardships, claiming that his policies have resulted in a shortage of essential goods and high inflation.
Maduro, however, has accused the US of backing the opposition to launch a coup in the South American country. Washington has denied the charges, calling the allegations “baseless and false.”
Earlier this month, Venezuela expelled three US diplomats, who Maduro said had met with student protest leaders.
In response, Washington declared three Venezuelan consular officials as personae non gratae and asked them to leave the US.