Iran, Sextet expert talks in Geneva good: Official
Press TV –(Mon Dec 30, 2013) Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Seyyed Abbas Araqchi has described the ongoing round of expert-level talks in the Swiss city of Geneva between Iran and the six world powers over Tehran’s nuclear energy program as “good.”
On Monday evening, Araqchi said that the talks are in progress but there is still no news on the outcome of the negotiations.
Earlier in the day, experts from Iran and the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council — the United States, China, Russia, France and Britain — plus Germany launched a new round of talks meant to devise mechanism to implement the landmark interim nuclear deal that the two sides struck last month over the Islamic Republic’s nuclear energy program.
Araqchi said on Sunday that any fresh sanctions by the US would halt the interim deal reached between Iran and the six major world powers in Geneva.
He stated that if the US Congress passes into law any new anti-Iran sanctions bills, it would without a doubt bring the “Geneva negotiations and the implementation of its agreement to a halt.”
Some members of the US Congress have recently introduced a bill which proposes boycotting Iranian oil exports within a year and blacklisting Iran’s mining, engineering and construction industries.
Iran and the five members of the UN Security Council plus Germany signed the interim deal in Geneva on November 24 to pave the way for the full resolution of the West’s decade-old dispute with Iran over the country’s nuclear energy program.
Under the Geneva deal, the six countries have undertaken to lift some of the existing sanctions against the Islamic Republic in exchange for Iran agreeing to limit certain aspects of its nuclear activities during a six-month period. It was also agreed that no more sanctions would be imposed on Iran within the same timeframe.