No Iran-US secret talks ahead of deal: Source
Press TV -(Sun Nov 24, 2013) An informed source at Iran’s Foreign Ministry has dismissed US media reports about Tehran-Washington secret negotiations ahead of a deal between Iran and the six major world powers on the Islamic Republic’s nuclear issue.
After more than four days of intense negotiations, Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council — the US, Britain, Russia, France and China — plus Germany, sealed an interim deal in Geneva on Sunday morning to pave the way for the full resolution of the West’s decade-old dispute with Iran over its nuclear energy program.
“As [Iran] Foreign Minister [Mohammad Java] Zarif has earlier said, no talks had been held between Iran and the US except on nuclear issues and within the framework of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s negotiations with the P5+1 group,” the Iranian source said.
The source, who asked not to be named, added that such “questionable” media speculations aim to create ambiguity over Iran’s “clear and transparent” approach to the nuclear issue.
“It is necessary for the media to consider the consequences of incorrect and ambiguous news coverage that affects the positive atmosphere following the Geneva negotiations and the deal clinched between the two sides,” the source stated.
The Associated Press has claimed that the United States and Iran have been secretly engaged in a series of high-level, face-to-face talks over the past year that paved the way for the historic deal reached between Tehran and the six powers in Geneva.
On Friday, Zarif categorically dismissed a media report by French-language daily Le Figaro claiming on November 21 that Iranian and US diplomats had held secret talks in recent weeks on Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and ways to boost Tehran-Washington trade ties after signing a possible agreement between Iran and the six powers.
“It is a sheer lie and we have had no negotiations with the US except on the nuclear issue,” Zarif said.