Geneva nuclear deal, not to limit Iran’s nuclear activities: AEOI

Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Ali Akbar Salehi

Press TV -(Sun Nov 24, 2013) Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi says the new nuclear deal between Iran and the six world powers does not restrict Tehran’s nuclear activities.

Speaking to reporters on Sunday, Salehi stressed that the agreement is not restrictive for Iran in any way, adding, “In this agreement, only the level of enrichment has been voluntarily set by Iran at five percent and that will be for six months until the beginning of comprehensive talks.” 
The AEOI chief noted that the activities of Arak heavy water reactor, five-percent enrichment of uranium, research and development as well as discovery and extraction will continue in Iran. 
Earlier on Sunday, Iran and the Sextet of world powers — Britain, China, France, Russia and the US plus Germany – reached an interim nuclear deal after more than four days of intense negotiations. 
The agreement paves the way for the resolution of the West’s decade-old dispute with Iran over its nuclear energy program. 
According to the Iranian Foreign Ministry, the deal allows Iran to continue its activities at Arak, Fordow and Natanz facilities. The agreement also stipulates that no additional sanctions will be imposed on Tehran because of its nuclear energy program. 
Addressing journalists on Sunday after the announcement of the deal, Iran Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Iran’s right to enrichment has been recognized in the deal. 
The top Iranian diplomat noted that the interim deal is an “important achievement” but a “first step” toward resolving an “unnecessary crisis,” stressing that the two sides need to work together based on “equal footing, mutual respect and common benefits” to settle the dispute over Tehran’s nuclear energy program.

Bookmark and Share