Islamic Republic censures Kurdistan deadly attack
Press TV -(Sun Sep 29, 2013) The Islamic Republic of Iran has denounced a bomb attack in Iraq’s Kurdistan region that left at least six people dead earlier.
On Sunday, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham also expressed sympathy with the families of the victims.
“Terrorist acts are carried out in Iraq in line with the continuation of divisive moves by the enemies of unity, integrity, and security of this country,” Afkham said.
She added that such bombings were meant to undermine Iraq’s national unity and would “spread insecurity to various parts” of the country.
Earlier in the day, six people were killed by a rare bombing attack on the headquarters of the security services in the autonomous region’s capital Arbil, about 350 kilometers (217 miles) north of Baghdad.
The attack, in which six militants were also killed, left at least 42 people injured.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, which took place one day after the results of the region’s parliamentary elections were announced.
“This shows that those who resent Kurdistan do not want it to be victorious,” read a statement released by the region’s security forces following the attack. “These kinds of attacks will make us more determined to confront the terrorists,” it added.
Nikolay Mladenov, the United Nations’ new envoy to Iraq, said he was shocked by the attack.
“For many years, the city of Arbil has benefited from peace and security and I urge the regional and national authorities to work together to ensure that calm and tranquility will continue to prevail,” Mladenov said.
Violence has surged across Iraq in recent months, reaching its highest level since 2008.