Iran’s foreign minister discusses Syria with European counterparts
Press TV -(Wed Aug 28, 2013) Iran’s foreign minister has discussed the latest developments regarding Syria with his counterparts in different countries, rejecting a possible military action against the Arab state.
Mohammad Javad Zarif on Wednesday held telephone conversations on the Syrian crisis with the foreign ministers of France, Italy, Spain and some other European countries.
He also talked with the top diplomats of some regional states including Jordan and Kuwait.
During the talks, the Italian and Swiss foreign ministers, Emma Bonino and Didier Burkhalter, said their countries are against any military strike on Syria.
The Iranian minister also called on UN inspectors to continue with their investigation into an alleged chemical weapon attack near Damascus on August 21, which killed hundreds.
Zarif said early probes suggest that chemical weapons were handmade and therefore no one should rush to accuse the Syrian government of the attack.
He also urged the international community to show restraint and resolve the Syrian crisis through dialog.
Earlier in the day, the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council held a closed-door meeting to discuss a British proposal for a draft resolution demanding a swift response to the alleged attack.
Meanwhile, Syrian Prime Minister Wael al-Halqi said the West is seeking to turn Syria into a second Iraq and that the issue of chemical weapons use is only a pretext for war.