Iran condemns terrorist bombings in Lebanon’s Tripoli
Press TV -(Fri Aug 23, 2013) Iran’s Foreign Ministry has condemned the deadly Friday bombings in northern Lebanon, suggesting that the perpetrators of the terrorist attacks are in cahoots with Israel.
“The terrorist explosions in Lebanon’s Tripoli, which coincide with the strikes [launched] by the Zionist regime [of Israel] on this country, indicate coordination between Takfiri militants and the Zionists,” Deputy Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said on Friday.
Amir-Abdollahian called on Lebanese religious and political leaders to close ranks and form a united front against Takfiri terrorists.
Terrorists and Takfiris will not be allowed to wreak havoc in Lebanon, he stressed.
The Iranian official expressed sympathy with the families of the blast victims and stressed Iran’s sustained support for the Lebanese resistance.
At least 42 people were killed and over 500 others injured in explosions that hit near two mosques in the city of Tripoli which has witnessed deadly clashes between supporters and opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad over the past two years.
The first blast occurred as worshippers were leaving the al-Taqwa Mosque at the city’s Abu Ali Square – close to the home of outgoing Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati.
The second explosion followed five minutes later when some 100 kilograms of explosives were detonated outside the al-Salam Mosque in the Mina district of the city – which is reportedly close to the home of former police chief, Ashraf Rifi.
Earlier in the day, Israeli military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Peter Lerner announced that the regime’s warplanes had pounded an area near Na’ameh, between Beirut and Sidon, south of Lebanon, during the early hours of Friday.
The Lebanon-based Popular Front of Palestine said the Israeli attack targeted its base but did not cause any casualties.
Lener said the strike came in response to the Thursday firing of Katyusha rockets into northern Israel from a location in southern Lebanon.
Israeli media reported that the rockets did not cause any injuries or damage to property and that one of the rockets was intercepted by the “Iron Dome” missile system.
But Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu did not fail to vow retaliatory attacks.