Iran condemns brutal killing of Egyptian people in Cairo
Press TV -(Wed Aug 14, 2013 ) Iranian Foreign Ministry has condemned the deadly crackdown on the Egyptian people, which has led to around 2,200 deaths in the capital, Cairo.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Iranian ministry decried brutal crackdown on Egyptian protesters and condemned “massacre of people” while expressing “deep concern over the dire consequences” of the ongoing unrest in Egypt.
It warned against the “grave and dangerous consequences of this trend [in Egypt] in the light of the crises prevailing in the region” and called for an “immediate end” to the ongoing violence.
“Undoubtedly, the ongoing trend of upheavals in Egypt strengthens the possibility of civil war in this large Islamic country,” said the statement, adding that continuation of the turmoil would be to the detriment of the “civilized and history-making people” of Egypt.
According to the statement, the Iranian Foreign Ministry also encouraged Egypt’s political, scientific and religious elites as well as different parties in the country to adopt a peaceful approach such as “national dialogue and a democratic procedure” to deal with the deadly unrest.
Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood says at least 2,200 people have been killed and 10,000 others injured during fierce clashes with police forces in the capital.
Egypt’s riot police reportedly moved in on two large protest camps erected by supporters of the ousted president, Mohamed Morsi, in Cairo, launching a deadly operation which has so far left dozens of people dead.
The camps are considered the main flashpoints in the confrontation between the Egyptian military and pro-Morsi protesters.
Tension has intensified in Egypt since July 3 when the Egyptian army removed Morsi from office. The army also suspended the constitution and dissolved the parliament.
Hundreds of protesters, mostly Morsi’s supporters, have been killed or wounded during the unrelenting violence that erupted since the removal of Morsi.