Continuation of violence in Bahrain unacceptable: Iranian official
Press TV -(Fri Jul 19, 2013 ) An Iranian deputy foreign minister has condemned a recent bomb attack in Bahrain saying that continuation of violence in the Persian Gulf state is “unacceptable.”
Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian on Friday condemned a recent attack in the city of Riffa , saying that the crisis in the country should be settled solely through political approaches and away from violence.
The Iranian official also condemned Bahrain’s ongoing crackdown on anti-regime protesters, saying that respecting the legitimate demands of the people is the most appropriate solution to the crisis in the country.
“Continuation of violence and suppression will further complicate the situation in Bahrain,” Amir-Abdollahian said.
A car exploded outside a mosque in the kingdom’s second largest city, Riffa, late on Wednesday when worshipers were inside for evening prayers.
An investigation has been launched into the attack, which reportedly had no casualties.
The Bahraini government had earlier accused the opposition of having orchestrated the blast.
The opposition, however, said the incident was part of a campaign by the Manama regime to tarnish the image of the opposition ahead of a planned anti-regime protest on August 14, the date marking the withdrawal of British forces from the Persian Gulf island back in 1971.
Bahrain has been the scene of demonstrations since mid-February 2011. Thousands of pro-democracy protesters have staged numerous demonstrations on the streets of Bahrain, calling for the Al Khalifa family to relinquish power.
Following the eruption of the protests, the Bahraini regime promptly launched a brutal crackdown on the peaceful protests and called in Saudi-led Arab forces from neighboring states to assist the suppression.
Dozens of Bahraini people have been killed in the crackdown, and the security forces have arrested hundreds, including doctors and nurses.